Monday, September 28, 2009

My life equates to a bunch of boxes...

I am sitting here in my house with no pictures on the walls, no decorations watching strangers pack up my life. It is overwhelming. We have spent the last several weeks slowly weeding out things that we didn't need, and then more recently, the last 4 days quickly and frantically getting rid of even more things we didn't need, want, or even know that we had half the time. It has been crazy deciding what we need for the next 3 weeks before we leave for the island (Texas weather clothes and island clothes), what we need immediately when we get there (things we are shipping to my coworker), what we need in 8 weeks on the island (things the packers are packing and taking...including my van), what we want when we come back (storage) and what we don't need at all(garage sale, Goodwill, trash). It has given me a true appreciation for people that move every couple of years, like my sister-in-law and all military families.

It has been an exhausting couple of days entirely. Matt even pulled an all-nighter last night to make sure the garage was properly sorted into shipping/storage piles. He is now passed out on the couch enjoying the cool breeze that the open windows are offering him. I finally left the house for the first time in 4 days to run errands...of course associated with the move (everything these days for us is associated with the move). Grandma has taken the kids to the park, and suddenly, I am here with not that much to do. How did that happen? It is not that I have nothing truly to do, it is just that for the first time in several days I can sit for a second without thinking "Oh crap, I forgot to do this, or that or the other." Now those thoughts are coming every few minutes. It is a welcome change.

So today they are packing us up, tomorrow they are moving it all out, and we begin cleaning for our renters to move in on late Wednesday night. And then we are living with the in-laws. It is for about a week and a half. We are so fortunate that they have a pool and a playroom for the kiddos. Anybody want to do a playdate in Dallas? On the 12th-16th we go to Hot Springs, Arkansas. My mom has rented a cabin in the woods so that my sister-in-law with my niece and nephew in tow can meet us there and the kids can say good-bye to each other. It is going to be so nice, but so hard. Then the 16th after we are dropped off back in Dallas, I say good-bye to my mom. It is making me tear up just thinking about it. I have been able to push leaving her to the farthest part of my brain so that I can handle all this moving stuff...but typing it now brings streams of tears down my cheeks. She has been such a help...such a God send...not just for the move, but for my life and I sad that I won't be able to see her until February. But that is the silver lining, at least she has plans to come visit every 6 monts. The time will go faster than I realize.

There is so much excitement in this adventure, I have to remind myself. We are going to an amazingly gorgeous place, emersing ourself in a totally different culture, and learning a new language. We are also going to have such an amazing opportunity to get to know people going through the same thing. I am looking forward to meeting my FB friends Donna Posey and Jill Bowman (my future co-worker). It is nice that I am already familiar with folks over there. There is comfort in that.

We are also going to have the opportunity to introduce our family and friends to all that we discover there. My mom is planning to visit February, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law already have plane tickets and hotel reserved for May, my mom and stepdad in August, and my in-laws in September. It will so great to show them "our" island.

We are sad to say good-bye for now to friends and family, but excited for all the adventure to come. Please pray for smooth travel and transition for us. We will take all the prayers we can get!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amy...I know its hard leaving your mom. I really feel for you b/c I felt the same way when I left my mom. Big Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete